Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gup C complete, only one more to go...


This has been the fiddliest creation in this project so far! The main hull was done on about 2/3 of a water bomb, topped with card board, newspaper, a plastic cup & a  cardboard tube for all the bits on the 'deck'. Cups broke, paint peeled and glue didn't stick but I got there in the end!! The hot glue gun was a big help for this one tho it's not as strong as the ones made purely with paper mache.
I was quite proud of managing the shapes & proportions well on this as I did it all just by eye & the feel of it.  I also remembered I could sand down the bumpy surfaces of dried layers which helped get a nice smooth finish for painting, I wish I'd done that with the others! I did the lines & name with a pen this time which was much easier than painting but I could've done with a thicker nib.... The things to remember for next time!
Next time?!! Once I've finished the Gup-E it will be time for a break from this and maybe start on some sewing, I'll have to see what inspires me next :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I just wanted to say that I have featured your Octonauts creation on my site for Octonauts fans! You can find it at http://www.underseaheroes.com/octonauts-gup-c-toy
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Aimee! Great site you've put together there, there were some good Facebook groups too that shared lots of octoparents' creations that kept the kiddies happy while waiting for official merchandise to be released. It took forever for anything to make it to Australia so it was great to see families working together to fill that need. We haven't actually bought any octonauts products other than the books, the boys have been content with what we made, which is pretty special I think. The gup c is actually due for some repairs now and the gup b had an unfortunate encounter with our new puppy but other than that, despite paper mâché being unsuitable for bath time, I think I prefer my creations to what I've seen in store!

    ReplyDelete