Friday, July 22, 2011

Creative bursts of cakes and paper mache for birthdays, parties & other fun stuff over the wintery school holidays...Part Two, the pinatas...

About 10 or 12 years ago, I made some pinatas. A 'Pikachu' Pokemon for one of my nephews, a big round pair of boobs for my husband and a fairy for a student who my good friend Fairy Emma of Stardust Fairies was doing a party for. Pikachu hung in my nephews' rooms for years after the birthday, we smashed the boobs to bits and the fairy was a hit so Fairy Emma commissioned me to make more for other parties. From memory I did a pirate, a Santa and something else. It was great fun getting paid for being creative and although Fairy Emma encouraged me to continue with the pinatas, my teaching career took over and time became limited. Plus, while I was teaching kids to paper mache for themselves, I was making props, puppets, sets and costumes for school musicals and was maintaining my creative outlet and the pinata idea fizzled.

After making the Octonauts Gups earlier this year and getting a taste for paper mache again, (not literally of course,  I don't recommend ingesting or even tasting the glue), I was inspired to pick up the pinata idea again.

Inspired to honour Amelia, the daughter of on old high school friend who was turning 8 in June. In December last year, Amelia was diagnosed with Ataxia Telgiectasia, an extremely rare degenerative disorder that deteriorates the immune system and brain. There is no treatment or cure available and the progressive nature of the condition means that children diagnosed with  A-T rarely live to their twenties. It's heartbreaking.
Since the diagnosis, the whole family's lives have been turned upside down... shaken about... kicked repeatedly... and recently, unfortunately not even metaphorically, hit by a bus! (They're all ok though the car was a write-off.) 
Through the wonders of Social Networking,  friends of Amanda (Amelia's mum) have rallied their support. A facebook page was set up to help, which grew to an official charity being set up in Amelia's name and 'Amelia's Project' was born. Sooo much has been done by friends, family and complete strangers, to support the family as the word has spread. Amanda's main goal is to make life amazing for Amelia. To let her experience all the magic and joy life can offer, to fill her world with love and laughter, to make every single moment count. We have all been touched by the Love that is guiding Amanda through this journey with her beautiful, happy daughter and can't help but be inspired to let the love grow and spread. While we are all doing what we can to support the research for  treatment and maybe one day, a cure for this horrible disease, there are no guarantees, so it seems best we focus on the good times and making  sure there's lots of them for Amelia! Check out Amanda's blog "Amelia's Project", watch the video montage of Amelia, go back to early posts and follow their journey, you will be inspired too...

Aaannyway, I decided to make a pinata for Amelia for her birthday and gave Amanda 2 vouchers for custom pinatas which were auctioned at a fundraising night they had last month. I figured I'd better get a new email address for the pinatas, a business name registered, and a domain name sorted if I was putting myself out there. Oh yeah, and business cards printed too! (Though unfortunately they didn't arrive in time to give out at the fundraiser night!)

So, inspired by Amelia, and the 80's classic "The Three Amigos", "A Plethora of Pinatas" was born!
I will sort out a website & get it hosted soon but you will be able to find me at www.aplethoraofpinatas.com


A 'Plethora' of course means excessive amounts, an abundance, many many many pinatas...

I will start with just one.
A mermaid.


Like the pinatas I'd made in the past, I couldn't bare the thought of her being beaten with a stick. Plus I find it tricky to get the shape and smoothness I want without making it too thick to be broken with anything less than a samurai sword ;)
So, I make a little hatch which you attach ribbons to & party guests all pull on, to open it and spill out the goodies. This makes the pinata reusable for another party or as a decorative keepsake.
I also added a shell bracelet and necklace and made a tiara. Every strand of hair was individually hot glue gunned on.


On a roll with the paper mache, I decided to make some wings for a broken Buzz Lightyear we got at the market for 50c!


Posting pictures of the mermaid on facebook led to an order for this TGV train  for a friend's son

It's like a Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) but French. Ooh la la!


Next came an order for Darth Vader
I wasn't totally happy with this, it wasn't quite what I had in my head, the eyes are a bit off and cheeks could've been better shapes but it's still a learning process. It was my first pinata designed to be smashed (with light sabers of course) so couldn't be as thick and strong as usual.

Next up is for my mum's quilting group who are having a retreat this week and very possibly doing the pinata as I type this! Their theme for the weekend is "The Great Escape". Their rooms have been given cell numbers,     there's balls and chains to be worn, dad compiled a cd of jail themed music for them and mum sewed herself a stripey convict outfit to wear with her Martha Stewart wig & apron!  Based on a comic they're using for something there,  mum asked me to make them a zebra... (the picture was of zebras playing charades and the guesses were things like 'prisoner' and 'jailbreak'  -because of the stripes, get it?!! Hilarious, I know) 

So here he is, hand cuffs and all, the guilty zebra...
The shaggy mane was the first time I'd done like the traditional Mexican pinatas you see of donkeys and stars where they're covered in rainbows of feathery looking crepe paper. I was stoked with how fluffy it turned out,  I will definitely use the technique again.
I used paper towel instead of the usual tissue paper for most of the white, it worked well covering the newspaper layer layers but absorbed a lot of glue & colours would bleed into it from the black tissue and pens used to draw the eyes. I will probably paint over it next time to create a better base for decorating.
Sitting on the potty for his final blow dry over the heater vent in the bathroom! 

Not a pinata but a 'Toodles' maraca for Aedan. He's been taking it to bed with him! :)
I used a box from laughing cow cheese and an empty sticky tape roll cut in half.

And while I was finishing off the zebra, Caelan made me an Evil Dr.Porkchop (from Toy Story). He insists it's not, but deep down, I know it's his first pinata :) 
"It's NOT a pinata mum, it's just a present I made for you!"

I've been working on a Buzz Lightyear for Caelan which I unfortunately didn't manage to get finished in time for his birthday, but am back on with it now and will hopefully get him finished soon.

I've got Aedan's 3rd birthday next month to start thinking about now as well, so will continue to add to my collection of creations. 

I need to keep going, this is clearly not a plethora.....




yet
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment