Thursday, July 21, 2011

Creative bursts of cakes and paper mache for birthdays, parties & other fun stuff over the wintery school holidays...Part One, the cakes...

We have so many birthdays between family and friends throughout both June and July, it's a bit like Christmas here during these months. Though the usual callouses on my thumbs from the tape dispenser have been eased by the kneading of icing for cakes, and soaking my fingers in paper mache glue for pinatas! (Not at the same time of course)

I'll start with the cakes as a follow up to my last post:

Octonauts Cupcakes for Caelan's 5th birthday celebrations at kinder. I did ten of each with just a dab of butter cream icing under the fondant toppers, I didn't want to be the one responsible for administering quite so much sugar to all those kids right before dinner!

Kwazii Cat, Captain Barnacles and Peso Penguin


The next day was my birthday which I spent creating this Octopod cake for Caelan's party. 
(Mum did treat me to a delicious chocolate cake as well, it was a very cakey week )





Caelan LOVED it! Thanks to Scott's cousin in the UK, we also had some Octonauts figurines to adorn the cake as there is still NOTHING available in Australia.

I really enjoy doing the cakes but it can be quite time-consuming.  My hands were stiff and sore after kneading the fondant icing to mix the colours,  unfortunately my 
Kitchen Aid mixer is too big for the job, but  if I ever have to do excessive quantities in one colour, it would be perfect.

Now onto planning Aedan's cake for next month!


Next up... Part 2 the Pinatas...

No comments:

Post a Comment